What’s the Theme for 2020?
It’s our TENTH Ball, and the theme this year is Magical Mystery Krewe – a riff on the Beatle’s Magical Mystery Tour.
Remember doors open at 7:00 PM at the Wonder Ballroom February 22nd, 2020. The Ball is over at 11pm so get there early!
Remember the Wonder Ballroom has a no-reentry policy
Is there food at the Ball? What about beverages?
Right Bayou Food Cart will be in the parking lot at the Wonder. Although the Wonder has a no-reentry policy, you will be able to access the truck through the downstairs outside area. Of course there will be full bars available for drinks – consider bringing cash to speed up the lines.
Also, you can order food from Cliff’s – the restaurant under the Wonder – from your friendly bartenders. The food will be delivered upstairs to you.
There are several restaurants nearby open before the Ball, including Toro Bravo, Izakaya Kichinto, and Queen of Sheba. Cliff’s is open until midnight Saturday night.
I don’t know what to wear! What about a costume?
Mardi Gras season is really a time for flashy and outrageous costumes. Often participants design their costumes according to the Mardi Gras Ball theme. 2012’s theme was “They All Ask’d For You” – the Audubon Zoo song, leading to many zoo animal costumes. Also see some ideas on our Pinterest boards, and SmugMug.
Some ideas: Purple, green and gold are the colors of Mardi Gras, Fleur-de-lis are the symbol of Louisiana and it’s historical ties to France. Folks go bawdy with fishnets, corsets and petticoats, or classical in Marie Antoinette wigs and gowns.
Take a look at costumes from 2019 for Tableaux on Pirate’s Alley.
Here are some local costume resources:
- Jane Clugston is the owner of “The Belfry” Mask & Costume shop at 3153 SE Belmont, 503-953-3246. Open 11-6 Thursday thru Sunday.
- Gumbo Gifts and Gallery 3636 N Mississippi Avenue, Portland, Oregon has fun fun fun masks, fascinators, feather headpieces, gloves, hats, and all kinds of accessories to make your Mardi Gras special.
- Hollywood Vintage has costumes for rent or sale. And a huge selection of hats, jewelry, and especially vintage wear for men!
- Can’t forget Lippman Party Supply in inner SE for tiaras, shiny things, and tons of costume pieces
- Metro Boutique on Hawthorne
- Top to Bottom has 2 locations in Portland – one north, and one a 82nd and Foster. Great prices on costume jewelry, shiny club clothes, tiaras, rhinestone masks, fun shoes, and inexpensive sportswear as well
Where can I park?
Street parking is available around the Wonder Ballroom. We suggest using transit, cab or ride service
Where can I stay nearby?
Click on the map to find current info